Monday, May 30, 2011

Taking a Moment to Remember on Memorial Day



For love of country they accepted death...  ~James A. Garfield


Today is Memorial Day. It is a day to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. While we are remembering those who gave it all we should think of the families that they left behind as well. They feel the sacrifice each and everyday. 

We should also be taking a few moments to think of those who have served and are serving now. They put their lives on the line for us. 

Today as I have read through my various social networking sites I was very disappointed to see that so many people don't understand the meaning of the holiday. Yes, you got the day off and that is wonderful, but the reason you get your day off is because of those who have served or are serving. And, incidentally, the people that the holiday is all about were probably working today. 

I am so very thankful for everyone who gave their lives and for their families who have been left behind. I remember my grandfather, who was my hero and the man I loved most in the world. He served in World War II and was in a hospital ward for close to a year after being shot twice. I remember my grandmother who soldiered on and raised her oldest son while waiting for my grandfathers safe return. I thank my cousin who is serving and has served for almost 20 years. I am so incredibly thankful for my husband and words can not describe how proud of him I am. And, last but absolutely not least I am thankful for all of military friends who serve or whose spouse serves. Thank you to everyone for your service and sacrifice.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday today and I hope everyone took a moment to remember those who gave everything and those who served and are serving. They are the reason we can live in this beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment