Sunday, September 5, 2010

Where in th world is Wanna Be Baker? Days 6, 7 and 8

Last time I posted we were in Cuba, IL with my aunt and uncle...we had an awesome visit.. I love going out to their house because they are on a lake. That was great...we went out on the boat and we went fishing and I laid on the boat and got some sun! i was, however, a little shocked when i went in to town...

They live in a really cute little town. Down town is literally a one block square that has some cute shops and stuff. The scary stuff happens all around town though. We wanted to cook dinner for everyone on Thursday so we went in to town to pick up some groceries. We were shopping in the store and i couldn't find a few items so i asked the kid stocking shelves. i asked for basil and he said they didn't sell that...Really!?! i started to loose it just a little (i love to cook and am a little bit of a food snob), but I asked him where I could get some. He gave me directions to another grocery store. Then I asked if they had Arborio rice for risotto. he gave me a puzzled look and walked toward the rice aisle. He then handed me a bag of long grain rice and said, "we don't carry that brand, but this is a great brand." As he walked away I just sort of stared...maybe I was expecting to much of him...

So, we checked out and headed across town to the other grocery store. Right away i found the basil, but no risotto I stated to panic, because that was the highlight of the meal i was going to prepare. I decided to go back to the first store just to have one more look for the rice. This where things got a little dicey...

I pulled into the parking lot and there was a guy standing in front of me...wearing overalls. he had to have been in his late 30's maybe early 40's, but he was wearing OVERAllS!! My jaw just about hit the pavement. then...when e walked inside, there were two...yes, TWO, old men wearing overalls. Now, overalls are great if you 5 years old or younger, but seriously, these grown men were wearing overalls! Am I the only one that finds this unacceptable??

LAst night we drove into my cousins place in the suburbs or Chicago. We had a really great time and I realized that it really is ok to live near family.

Today we went into the city for a quick lunch before heading to my home town of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'll share more on that later because coming back here always makes me feel just a little bit weird...

No comments:

Post a Comment