Monday, March 7, 2011

What is a Casimir Pulaski?

When I set out to make paczkis this morning the plan was to have them for tomorrow, which is Fat Tuesday. Little did I know, today is Casimir Pulaski Day. My 9 year old cousin schooled me on this this morning is her "I'm smarter than you" sort of way. Our conversation went like this:


Me: I'm making Paczki for Fat Tuesday tomorrow.


9 year old: Today is Casimir Pulaski Day and you are supposed to eat those today!


Me: What is Casimir Pulaski Day, is that some kind of Polish sweater??

9 year old: No, stupid! Casimir Pulaski Day is a day to celebrate Casimir Pulaski because he was kind of a big deal in the Revolutionary War! Duh!

Me: Oh, that's cool I guess, I didn't know that was today.

9 year old: Don't you know anything? We even get the off from school! We had a party last night too!

We chatted briefly after that, but I honestly had no clue that Casimir Pulaski Day was today. Am I the only person who didn't know that? Where I grew up there was always a big celebration on October called Pulaksi Days, but I always thought it was just a Polish party. I feel really dumb now! 

Anyway...on to my Paczki, which are for Fat Tuesday!

For those who don't know what a paczki (pronounced punch-key) is...they are basically the Polish version of a jelly doughnut. I have a new found love for making yeast dough. I made 40 Paczki today and I filled them with Strawberry jam, lemon curd and custard, not all in one of course.  

 Yeast Dough

 Before they were fried

Frying the dough

 Finished Paczki 

I may not have know it was  Casimir Pulaski Day, but I DO know that tomorrow is Fat Tuesday and I am going to enjoy some fried deliciousness, also known as a Paczki.

Happy Casimir Pulaski Day and enjoy you Fat Tuesday/ Mardi Gras celebrations! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment