Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Just Thought You Were Overweight...

All my life I have been the fat kid.

As an adult, I finally came to terms with my body and that I was never going to skinny. And, finally, in the last few years...I was ok with that.

When I got pregnant I knew that I wouldn't have the cute little bump in the early weeks, and I was ok with that too. Even if no one else could see it, I knew that I was pregnant and that was all that mattered.

Yesterday, I was sitting in my mom's store with her business partner and her business partners son when a customer walked in. The two ladies were chatting and it came up that I was pregnant. The customer, an older lady, looked at me and said, "oh, I didn't realize you were pregnant, I just thought you were over weight."

At that point I could have just crawled in a hole and died.

When she asked me how far along I was, I told her I was almost 18 weeks. She looked at me and smiled as if to say, "I knew it! You really are fat!"

Needless to say, she left me feeling pretty low.  And, while I am still happy to know that my little squirrel is growing inside of me, I can't help but wonder...when am I going to feel pregnant and not just fat?

No comments:

Post a Comment